The first time it happened we FREAKED out. Called the vet, googled (and concluded that the dogs would surly die), etc. First, I'm not a vet, and every case is different, so don't use this blog post as an expert opinion on what to do if your dog eats a diaper, but I am going to share our experience with you. The experience I'm referencing below refers specifically to the diaper incident, but the same method can be applied to any scary consumption if caught right away. I could have used my own advice during the corn cob incident- remember that, Watson?
- Call your vet. This is always a good idea. We've called our vet several times with "stupid" questions, and it's always better to be safe!
|Our dog literally ate our homework|
- Wait, wait, wait. Within about 15 min, Watson threw up a gross foamy mess, but no diaper...
- After 30 min Mylie still had not vomited, so we called the vet again. They recommended a second dose. The second dose did the trick, and mystery solved... Mylie ate the diaper.
One time we were away from home and didn't have any hydrogen peroxide on hand and I had heard that sprinkling about a teaspoon of salt on the very back of a dog's tongue can induce vomiting. It sure worked for Mylie!
You name it, our dogs have eaten it, a throw pillow, diapers, a razor, my blackberry, several pairs of underwear, corn cobs, a christmas ornament, drywall, carpet, many of their own toys, the list goes on an on. The best thing we've done to curb this behavior is exercise and not giving them as much freedom at home when we are away. Dogs are den animals and are OK being in a crate all day, in fact they often prefer it. We'd leave Mylie's crate open and find her in it a lot of times. We use baby gates to only allow the dogs 2 rooms in the house now. We had been told that sometimes when a dog is given too much house to roam free in when you're away, they get anxious and start causing trouble. This was definitely our experience. Limiting the dogs to just 2 rooms has almost completely stopped the bad behavior. (except for the occasional diaper)
|What used to be a throw pillow|
Last week, I noticed diaper "remains" in the yard, so obviously the dogs had eaten a diaper I didn't know about and passed it. It is comforting to know that it seems our dogs have garbage disposal stomaches and can pass a diaper, but that doesn't mean they always will.
Lesson for us, do a better job at hiding the diapers....