Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Dock jumping

Mylie LOVES to jump off the dock. We learned this when she was a little puppy, but had no idea she was any good at it until we entered her into the dock jumping competition they had at the Twin Cities Pet Expo last February.

Mylie placed first in her group and made it to the finals. She placed 4th overall, which is not bad for a first timer!

Watson, on the other hand, is a bit scared of jumping off the dock. He loves to swim, but is not interested in jumping off the dock. We've been working with him a bit this summer and he's making progress. Here's a video.

It's hard to believe it's almost August, and that means an end to outdoor dock jumping for the dogs. We're going to have to get them out to the lake as much as possible in these last few weeks!

Wednesday, August 20, 2014

What to do when your dog eats a diaper...or another scary object

So, I'm embarrassed to admit that this has happened more than one in our household. Even when I think the dirty diapers are out of reach, Mylie and Watson have found a way to dig them out, rip them to shreds, and consume most of it.

The first time it happened we FREAKED out. Called the vet, googled (and concluded that the dogs would surly die), etc. First, I'm not a vet, and every case is different, so don't use this blog post as an expert opinion on what to do if your dog eats a diaper, but I am going to share our experience with you. The experience I'm referencing below refers specifically to the diaper incident, but the same method can be applied to any scary consumption if caught right away. I could have used my own advice during the corn cob incident- remember that, Watson?

- Call your vet. This is always a good idea. We've called our vet several times with "stupid" questions, and it's always better to be safe!
Our dog literally ate our homework
- Our vet recommended hydrogen peroxide. She gave us the dosage (which was different for each dog based on their weight). Because we weren't sure who the culprit was (We suspected Mylie), we gave it to both. Here's a blog post from a veterinarian  on how to induce vomiting.
- Wait, wait, wait. Within about 15 min, Watson threw up a gross foamy mess, but no diaper...
- After 30 min Mylie still had not vomited, so we called the vet again. They recommended a second dose. The second dose did the trick, and mystery solved... Mylie ate the diaper.

One time we were away from home and didn't have any hydrogen peroxide on hand and I had heard that sprinkling about a teaspoon of salt on the very back of a dog's tongue can induce vomiting. It sure worked for Mylie!

You name it, our dogs have eaten it, a throw pillow, diapers,  a razor, my blackberry, several pairs of underwear, corn cobs, a christmas ornament, drywall, carpet, many of their own toys, the list goes on an on. The best thing we've done to curb this behavior is exercise and not giving them as much freedom at home when we are away. Dogs are den animals and are OK being in a crate all day, in fact they often prefer it. We'd leave Mylie's crate open and find her in it a lot of times. We use baby gates to only allow the dogs 2 rooms in the house now. We had been told that sometimes when a dog is given too much house to roam free in when you're away, they get anxious and start causing trouble. This was definitely our experience. Limiting the dogs to just 2 rooms has almost completely stopped the bad behavior. (except for the occasional diaper)
What used to be a throw pillow

Last week, I noticed diaper "remains" in the yard, so obviously the dogs had eaten a diaper I didn't know about and passed it. It is comforting to know that it seems our dogs have garbage disposal stomaches and can pass a diaper, but that doesn't mean they always will.

Lesson for us, do a better job at hiding the diapers....

Wednesday, August 13, 2014

A change for Mylie and Watson

You may have noticed I stopped blogging about a year ago when our son, Jeffrey was born. I used to write stories about the funny things Mylie and Watson did, but then the posts just stopped. I was sure I wouldn't stop blogging about my dogs when Jeffrey was born, but I was wrong :-)

Well, I'm back again. But this time, the blog will have a little twist too.

Many of you know about the venture my husband and I started a few years ago, ClotIt. We developed and tested the product for 2+ years and finally launched in the animal market last September. Michael left his job at 3M last summer to pursue this full time, and we now employ 1 employee and 1 intern. I'm still with Wells Fargo (and no plans to leave anytime soon) but I work on some of the marketing for the business in my spare time.  I recently decided that as part of the ClotIt venture, I should start blogging again about our dogs, and maybe throw in a little pet first-aid, interesting pet posts, etc.

So now this blog is going to morph from what started as just funny stories about Mylie and Watson, to Mylie and Watson stories with a few industry posts sprinkled in here and there too.

I promise to keep it light and fun. Mylie and Watson are going to be the "face" of ClotIt, with weekly Facebook posts on Fridays and a bi-weekly blog post.

Sharing some ice cream 
So, here's to the beginning of a new era for Adventure of Mylie and Watson. They really have been here through the whole venture. They were here with us the day we thought up the idea in our kitchen, here for our initial trials on ourselves (also in our kitchen), and Watson was even our first animal test subject after a nail clipping incident.

We're all here enjoying some ice cream (well some of us). It's not that hot here in MN, but our air conditioner is broken and will be replaced tomorrow. I'm not sure who is happier, me or the dogs!

Until next time!

P.S. for more information about ClotIt visit and more on the company as a whole