Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Corn cob update

Yesterday I blogged about Watson throwing up a second corn cob and how happy we were that this was all over. 

...or so we thought!

Watson was uncharacteristically snuggly last night and wanted to be next to us at all times. Then this morning he didn't want to eat, threw up what he had eaten, and proceeded to eat as much grass as he could outside. I just let him eat the grass knowing that his tummy must still hurt. 

We waited it out and he threw up yet again. 

At this point, I am late for work, and Michael is not feeling well either. (I told him he should try eating grass like Watson, but he didn't seem to think that would help :-) He decided to stay home so he could feel better, and that made me feel better about leaving Watson. 

The thing we were most worried about with Watson was his lethargy. He just wasn't himself. I called the vet from work and they said to bring him in. I got a second opinion from my co-worker who runs a dog rescue facility and she agreed that lethargy is a bad sign and he should be seen. Michael monitored him a bit longer and when he never got his energy back up, and threw up one more time, we knew something bad was happening.

The vet tested for peritonitis, which came back negative, then she did an x-ray and found that his stomach and small intestines were distended. that is very bad. That usually means an obstruction, which could mean emergency surgery. She gave him barium and monitored him throughout the rest of the day and did another series of x-rays to see how he had progressed. Finally, at about 7:00, we came in and saw Watson and the x-rays. The vet seemed optimistic because whatever was in his stomach had passed to his small intestine. The next step was to get from small intestine to large intestine, so she let us take him home. 

We have to bring him back int he morning, but the best news of all is that he passed another piece of corn cob tonight (we found it in the backyard). This is VERY good news, because at least a piece came through. There is one more piece we were monitoring on the x-ray, so we need to pray that passes tomorrow so he doesn't have to have surgery.

Poor Watson.

Michael and I feel terrible because this whole mess could have been avoided if we hand't left the garbage in his reach. We know he'll eat anything he can get his mouth around. We need to be more careful :-( 

He's sitting sweetly next to me on the kitchen floor as I write. Hopefully tomorrow everything works itself out and we don't need to go to surgery. 

There will be no more corn cobs eaten at our house! Even though the corn cost about $.19 to purchase, it has cost us over $700 so far getting it out of Watson. 

No comments:

Post a Comment